A wreck involving a potentially intoxicated driver has left a woman dead and four others injured on the Katy Freeway Feeder near Mason.
Details of the Fatal Harris County Collision
According to KHOU 11, the crash injuring four and leading to the death of another occurred at the intersection of Katy Freeway and Mason Road where a Dodge Ram Pickup and Dodge Challenger collided. The force of the collision pushed the pickup into a light pole, causing the vehicle’s bed and rear axel to separate from the cab of the truck.
Sheriff Ed Gonzalez confirmed that four individuals were in the Dodge Ram including the woman who passed away at the scene. The four others injured were hospitalized after the collision, including the driver of the Dodge Challenger.
Later reporting from KHOU 11 states that authorities believe the driver exhibited signs of potential intoxication after the collision and further stated that an additional fifth individual was hospitalized. Previous reports had only stated that four individuals were hospitalized.
2020 Texas Traffic Accident Statistics
Despite the pandemic and reduced traffic, 2020 still proved to be a deadly year for Texas drivers. According to the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT):
- 3,896 people were killed in car crashes in Texas in 2020. A 7.54% increase from 2019.
- The fatality rate on Texas roadways increased a staggering 18.94% from 2019 to 2020
- 538 of those deaths were the result of head-on collisions.
- 865 people were killed in crashes that occurred at or near intersections.
- An additional 205,489 people were injured in traffic crashes in Texas in 2020 with 14,656 people suffering incapacitating injuries.
- Based on reportable data for 2020, TxDOT determined:
- One person was killed in a car crash in Texas every 2 hours and 15 minutes.
- A person was injured in a crash every 2 minutes and 34 seconds.
- A reportable crash occurred every 1 minute 7 seconds.
Speak with an Experienced Houston Attorney
If you or a loved one is involved in a crash with a hit-and-run driver in or around Houston or Harris County you need to take immediate action to protect your rights. Call Thomas J. Henry Law and let our Houston car accident attorneys take immediate action on your case.
We have represented clients across Texas for nearly 30 years and helped thousands of injured people receive fair compensation for damages suffered in car accidents. Our attorneys are standing by 24/7, nights and weekends to assist you with your case. Call now for your free case consultation.