Man Charged with Murder After Police Chase Leaves Woman Dead
A police chase in Houston ended with an innocent driver dead and two other people injured. The driver evading police has been charged with murder and aggravated assault.
Details of the Fatal Houston Crash
According to KWTX, the crash occurred Sunday night as 19-year-old Juan Jesus Sosa-Montes attempted to evade police following a traffic stop.
Authorities say law enforcement was in pursuit when Sosa-Montes ran a red light and struck an SUV, killing its 57-year-old driver. The name of the victim has not been released.
Sosa-Montes and his 18-year-old female passenger were both hospitalized with serious injuries. Sosa-Montes has been charged with murder and aggravated assault causing bodily injury.
Texas Car Crash Statistics
The following information was provided by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT):
- 3,773 people were killed in Texas traffic accidents in 2016, marking a 5.45% increase from the 3,578 deaths reported in 2015.
- 638 of the deaths reported in 2016 were attributed to head-on collision.
- Alcohol was determined to be a factor in 987 traffic deaths, accounting for roughly 26% of all Texas traffic fatalities.
- An additional 264,076 people were injured in auto accidents in Texas in 2016.
- Based on reportable data for 2016, TxDOT estimates:
- One person was killed in a traffic accident every 2 hours and 20 minutes.
- One person was injured every 1 minute and 59 seconds.
- A reportable crash occurred every 57 seconds.
Contact an Experienced Texas Auto Accident Attorney
If you or a loved one have been injured in a car crash, contact Thomas J. Henry. Our experienced car accident attorneys have experience handling a multitude of injury accidents, no matter how severe the crash or injury. You may be entitled to compensation for your damages if another driver acted negligently. Our firm has the experienced lawyers and financial resources that you need to achieve the real results you deserve.
Our firm has offices in Corpus Christi, San Antonio, Austin, and Houston, serving clients across Texas and nationwide. Call us today for a free case review — attorneys are available 24/7, nights and weekends. If you cannot make it to our office, we can visit you at your home, in the hospital, or at work.