Man Killed After Drunk Driver Strikes Disabled Vehicle on I-35
The victim of a fatal drunk driving accident has been identified by the Bexar County Medical Examiner’s Office. The decedent was killed when a drunk driver struck his disabled vehicle.
Details of the Fatal San Antonio Drunk Driving Accident
According to the San Antonio Express News, 35-year-old Gavin Matthew Walence was in his disabled vehicle in the 14600 block of I-35 at around 3:15 am when it was struck by a drunk driver.
Preliminary reports indicate that Walence had struck a concrete barrier and was stopped in the right-hand lane when a second vehicle stopped to offer assistance. A third vehicle then struck Walence’s car ejecting him for the vehicle. Walence was then struck by oncoming traffic.
The driver of the third vehicle, identified as Violeta Martinez, 25, has been charged with intoxication manslaughter.
Texas Traffic Accident Statistics
The following information was provided by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT):
- 3,721 people were killed in Texas traffic accidents in 2017, marking a slight decrease from the 3,794 deaths reported in 2016.
- 552 of the deaths reported in 2017 were attributed to head-on collision.
- Alcohol was determined to be a factor in 987 traffic deaths, accounting for roughly 26% of all Texas traffic fatalities.
- An additional 254,853 people were injured in auto accidents in Texas in 2017.
- Based on reportable data for 2017, TxDOT estimates:
- One person was killed in a traffic accident every 2 hours and 21 minutes.
- One person was injured every 2 minutes and 4 seconds
- A reportable crash occurred every 59 seconds.
Contact an Experienced Texas Car Accident Lawyer
you or a loved one have been injured in a car crash, contact Thomas J. Henry. Our experienced auto accident attorneys have experience handling a multitude of injury accidents, no matter how severe the crash or injury. You may be entitled to compensation for your damages if another driver acted negligently. Our firm has the experienced lawyers and financial resources that you need to achieve the real results you deserve.
Our firm has offices in Corpus Christi, San Antonio, Austin, and Houston, serving clients across Texas and nationwide. Call us today for a free case review — attorneys are available 24/7, nights and weekends. If you cannot make it to our office, we can visit you at your home, in the hospital, or at work.