An 83-year-old woman died on October 1st after causing a head-on crash in the 7700 block of South Padre Island Drive. Another motorist was hospitalized.
Details of the Corpus Christi Crash
According to KIII-TV, the crash occurred around 12:45 am when a Honda CRV that was traveling in the wrong direction of SPID, also called Highway 358, slammed into an oncoming Dodge Ram truck.
The Ram caught on fire after the crash, and the driver, a 28-year-old male, was fortunate to escape the fiery wreckage. The elderly woman driving the CRV was killed on impact.
The driver of the Ram was hospitalized following the crash with non-life-threatening injuries.
Police are investigating how the woman was able to get on the wrong side of the highway and why she may have been driving in the wrong direction.
What You Should Do If You Encounter a Wrong-Way Driver
There are few things more terrifying than seeing an oncoming car barreling down the wrong lane of traffic. Each moment is crucial if you want to avoid a head-on collision, so it is best to try to remain as calm as possible.
For proper evasive action:
- Remove your foot from the accelerator and begin applying your brakes. Do not slam the brakes, but press them in a controlled manner.
- If possible, flash your headlights and blare your horn to try and get the oncoming driver’s attention.
- Steer to the right of the oncoming vehicle. While you may want to move left, this will put you in danger if the other driver should try to correct the course.
- Aim for a clear area like a should or level terrain. Drive off the road if needed, it is better to crash into a ditch than an oncoming car.
- Call the police and report the driver. Your call may save someone’s life.
Call an Experienced Corpus Christi Car Accident Lawyer
If you or a loved one was injured in a wrong-way crash, call Thomas J. Henry Law immediately. The impact of a head-on crash can cause catastrophic trauma and injuries to the human body. This means expensive medical bills, a lot of pain, and a long road to physical recovery.
Thomas J. Henry Law can help ensure you receive the medical treatment and physical recovery you need to get your life back on track.
Do not face the difficulties of a wrong-way collision alone. Call Thomas J. Henry Law today to speak to a qualified Corpus Christi car accident attorney.