About the Fatal Plano Crash
According to NBC DFW, the accident began when an SUV traveling at a high rate of speed swerved to avoid a tractor-trailer that was parked on the right shoulder of the freeway near the Legacy Drive exit.
The SUV clipped the rear of the trailer, taking of the passenger side door. The SUV then swerved into a Lincoln Navigator before the SUV and the Navigator struck a third vehicle, causing it to role twice.
The passenger of the SUV, Carolyn Connelly Hlozek, 62, was killed in the crash. The driver of the SUV was transported to the hospital with critical injuries.
Occupants of the other vehicles, including an eight-month-old passenger riding in the vehicle that overturned, were transported to the hospital in good condition.
The crash remains under investigation.
Texas Car Crash Statistics
The following information was provided by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT):
- 3,773 traffic fatalities were recorded in Texas in 2016, marking a 5.45-percent increase from the 3,578 deaths reported in 2015.
- Of the deaths recorded in 2016, 1,942 occurred in rural areas of the state. 814 deaths were associated with crashes that occurred at or in relation to an intersection.
- An additional 265,076 people were injured in traffic accidents in 2016.
- Based on reportable crash data for 2016, TxDOT estimates that:
- One person was killed in a traffic crash in Texas every 2 hours and 20 minutes.
- One person was injured every 1 minute and 59 seconds.
- A reportable crash occurred every 57 seconds.