One person was hospitalized Wednesday night as a result of a hit-and-run crash late Wednesday night.
Details of the San Antonio Hit-and-Run
According to KSAT, the crash occurred around 11 pm Wednesday in the 5200 block of UTSA Boulevard.
Police say the pedestrian was walking on the sidewalk when a vehicle jumped the curb and struck him. The reason the vehicle drove onto the sidewalk is unclear.
The injured pedestrian was rushed to University Hospital by EMS. Fortunately, he is expected to recover.
Police said the driver fled from the scene without rending aid to the injured pedestrian. When found, the driver faces a charge of failure to stop and render aid.
Texas Pedestrian Accident Statistics
According to TxDOT, there were 4,852 crashes involving pedestrians in Texas. These resulted in 1,211 serious injuries and 731 deaths.
The number of pedestrian deaths increased by 9% from 2019 to 2020.
Among the top factors of fatal pedestrian accidents reported in Texas were:
- Pedestrians failing to yield the right-of-way to vehicles
- Driver inattention
- Drivers failing to yield the right-of-way to pedestrians
Pedestrian Safety Tips
Pedestrian safety tip for drivers:
- Drivers should yield the right-of-way to pedestrians, especially when making turns
- Always stop for pedestrians at crosswalks
- Be cautious when passing stopped buses and other stopped vehicles
- Put away your phone while driving and avoid other distractions
Safety tips for pedestrians:
- If possible, only cross the street at intersections or crosswalks
- Before crossing the street, look left, right, then left again
- Always obey traffic and crossing signals
- Use sidewalks where available. If there are no sidewalks, walk on the left side of the road facing oncoming traffic
- When walking, avoid distractions like your cell phone
Speak with an Experienced San Antonio Pedestrian Accident Attorney
Thomas J. Henry Law handles pedestrian accident lawsuits across Texas. We have helped numerous clients receive fair compensation for damages suffered as a result of car crashes and pedestrian accidents.
Our attorneys are available 24/7, nights and weekends to help you. Call now for a FREE Case Review with a San Antonio pedestrian accident lawyer.