Police Officials Identify 2 People Who Were Killed in North Austin Accident
21-year-old Owen Macki and 24-year-old Raquel Aveytia were identified by Austin police as the two victims who lost their lives in a North Austin crash.
About the Identified Deceased and Crash
The Austin American-Statesmen reports Owen Macki and Raquel Aveytia were reportedly together in a black 2015 Toyota Camry when they were involved in a fatal crash in Austin.
Authorities detailed that Macki was speeding eastwards in the inside lane of the Capital of Texas Highway Loop 360. His high speeds indefinitely caused him to lose control of his driving and led to the Toyota Camry crashing into a concrete barrier wall on the northbound service road of MoPac.
Austin-Travis County EMS along with Austin police officers pronounced Macki dead at the scene. Aveytia lived a bit longer outside of the crash and was transported to St. David’s Round Rock Medical Center before eventually dying at the hospital.
The incident occurred on a Tuesday around 2:00 AM, according to emergency responders.
Texas Car Accident Statistics
The following information was provided by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT):
- 3,721 people were killed in Texas traffic accidents in 2017, marking a slight decrease from the 3,794 deaths reported in 2016.
- 552 of the deaths reported in 2017 were attributed to head-on collision.
- Alcohol was determined to be a factor in 987 traffic deaths, accounting for roughly 26% of all Texas traffic fatalities.
- An additional 254,853 people were injured in auto accidents in Texas in 2017.
- Based on reportable data for 2017, TxDOT estimates:
- One person was killed in a traffic accident every 2 hours and 21 minutes.
- One person was injured every 2 minutes and 4 seconds
- A reportable crash occurred every 59 seconds.
Contact an Experienced Texas Car Accident Lawyer
you or a loved one have been injured in a car crash, contact Thomas J. Henry. Our experienced auto accident attorneys have experience handling a multitude of injury accidents, no matter how severe the crash or injury. You may be entitled to compensation for your damages if another driver acted negligently. Our firm has the experienced lawyers and financial resources that you need to achieve the real results you deserve.
Our firm has offices in Corpus Christi, San Antonio, and Austin, serving clients across Texas and nationwide. Call us today for a free case review — attorneys are available 24/7, nights and weekends. If you cannot make it to our office, we can visit you at your home, in the hospital, or at work.