Texas City Commissioner Loses Re-Election After Being Charged in Fatal Crash
Texas City Commissioner Dee Ann Haney lost her bid for re-election on Saturday after being indicted on manslaughter charges related to a fatal 2017 crash on Thursday.
Texas City Commission Charged in Crash that Killed Father, Son
According to reports, a grand jury indicted Haney on two charges of manslaughter for a July 3 crash that killed Hong Phuc Le, 33, and his father, Van Duoc Le, 58.
Investigators say that the Les had stopped off the side of Interstate 45 Gulf Freeway to adjust a load in the back of their pickup when they were sideswipe by a truck driven by Haney. Court records show that Haney admitted to a Texas Department of Public Safety trooper that she had smoked marijuana hours before the fatal crash.
Haney has since claimed the crash was an accident and that she was not under the influence of a drug at the time of the crash, challenging the trooper’s report of the conversation.
Haney went on to blame Galveston County District Attorney Jack Roady for her loss in the elections, accusing the DA of playing politics. She vowed to run for mayor in two years time.
2016 Texas Car Crash Statistics
The following information was provided by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT):
- 3,773 people were killed in traffic crashes in Texas in 2016. This marked a 5.45% increase from the 3,578 deaths reported in 2015.
- The majority of the traffic fatalities (51.47%) occurred in rural areas of the state.
- Head-on collisions accounted for 638 traffic deaths.
- An additional 265,076 people were injured in motor vehicle crashes in 2016.
- Based on reportable crash data for 2016, TxDOT estimates:
- One person was killed in a crash every 2 hours and 20 minutes.
- One person was injured every 1 minute and 59 seconds.
- A reportable crash occurred every 57 seconds.
Contact an Experienced Texas Car Crash Attorney
If you or a loved one have been injured in a car crash, contact Thomas J. Henry. Our experienced auto accident attorneys have experience handling a multitude of injury accidents, no matter how severe the crash or injury. You may be entitled to compensation for your damages if another driver acted negligently. Our firm has the experienced lawyers and financial resources that you need to achieve the real results you deserve.
Our firm has offices in Corpus Christi, San Antonio, Austin, and Houston, serving clients across Texas and nationwide. Call us today for a free case review — attorneys are available 24/7, nights and weekends. If you cannot make it to our office, we can visit you at your home, in the hospital, or at work.