Texas Football Coaching Legend Hospitalized After Bike Accident
Renowned and respected high school football coach D.W. Rutledge was placed in intensive care after sustaining severe injuries in a bicycle accident.
Details of the Tragic Bike Accident
NEWS 4 SA announced on Saturday, October 31st that Rutledge was transported to an intensive care unit at a nearby hospital.
Rutledge suffered multiple severe injuries after crashing his bike in Texas Hill Country. Official reports claim that Rutledge injured his lung, shoulder, ten ribs, sternum, and a vertebrae during the accident.
69-year-old Coach Rutledge is well renowned for leading Judson to victory in four state championships. He is also known for coaching the Rockets for 17 seasons, earning 198-31-5 record with the team, and being the previous president of the Texas High School Coaches Association.
Rutledge’s son proclaims that only Rutledge’s wife is being allowed into the intensive care unit. Updates on his health are being carefully monitored.
How Do Bicycle Accidents Occur?
Bicycle accidents are oftentimes caused by inattentive, reckless, and negligent drivers. Bicyclists can suffer serious injuries when drivers:
- Back out of driveways without looking for bicyclists
- Turning (left or right) without checking for bicyclists approaching
- Ignore traffic signs and speed limits
- Fail to yield the right-of-way to bicyclists on the road
- Drive drunk or impaired
What Should I Do If I’m Involved in a Bicycle Accident?
Your actions immediately following a bicycle accident are important. In the case of any motor vehicle accident, it is paramount that evidence is preserved and an experienced bicycle accident lawyer is contacted. If you have been in a bicycle accident, follow these five steps.
- File a police report. Even if you do not think you are injured at the time of the accident, you may feel the effects hours or days later.
- Obtain driver and witness contact information. Be sure to get this information even if police have already included it in their report.
- Document what happened. Take pictures at the scene. As soon as possible after the accident, write down everything you can remember about what happened.
- Preserve evidence. Don’t get your bike fixed or replace your helmet.
- Decide how to proceed. If you decide to hire a bicycle accident attorney, do not talk to any insurance company until you have spoken with your attorney.
Contact an Experienced Bicycle Accident Attorney
If you or a loved one have been injured in a bicycle accident involving a motor vehicle, contact Thomas J. Henry. Our experienced automobile and bicycle injury lawyers have handled a multitude of accident cases and have achieved record-breaking, real results for injured clients. We ensure that you are in the best position possible to achieve the maximum amount of compensation for your case. You can recover compensation for medical expenses, your pain and suffering, and lost wages form missing work. Our injury attorneys are available 24/7, nights and weekends to evaluate your claim. Contact us today for a free case review.