Highways and interstates in Texas were site to 62 percent of fatal car accidents in 2015, according to study. These accidents accounted for 10 percent of all fatal car accidents that happened in the US during that year.
The Most Dangerous Highway in Texas
The 1.49 miles of I-69C in Edinburg, between FM 2812 and Monte Cristo Road and just north of the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley campus, is considered the deadliest stretch of highway in Texas.
Between 2013 and 2015, twelve crashes killed drivers in that section of 69C – that’s an average of 8.05 fatalities per mile. Many car crashes on this highway are caused by merging and lane-change incidents and poorly adjusting speed limits.
Dangerous Highways in Texas Cities
Other dangerous Texas highways are located in highly populated cities such as Houston, San Antonio, Dallas, Austin, and Odessa. The following information was taken from a three-year study of Texas highways from 2013 to 2015.
- Houston – 17 deadly stretches of highway accounted for 345 fatalities in 316 crashes. Fifty of those fatal crashes took place on an eleven-mile stretch of I-45 in Houston, from Tidwell Road to the interstate’s south junction with the I-610 loop.
- San Antonio – 10 deadly stretches of highway accounted for 176 fatalities in 151 crashes. A large concentration of these fatalities took place in a 14-mile stretch of I-410, a major highway that loops around the city.
- Dallas – 9 dangerous stretches of highway accounted for 249 fatalities in 223 crashes. Two of the longest and most dangerous stretches are SL-12 and I-30.
- Austin – 7 deadly stretches of highway accounted for 127 total fatalities in 113 crashes. Although the number of deadly stretches is fewer here than in other cities on this list, Austin highways have evenly spread numbers of accidents, totaling 3.07 fatalities per mile.
- Odessa – 5 deadly stretches of highway accounted for 82 fatalities in 74 fatal crashes. I-20 and SH-191 saw the most fatalities.
Contact an Experienced Texas Car Accident Lawyer
you or a loved one have been injured in a car crash, contact Thomas J. Henry. Our experienced auto accident attorneys have experience handling a multitude of injury accidents, no matter how severe the crash or injury. You may be entitled to compensation for your damages if another driver acted negligently. Our firm has the experienced lawyers and financial resources that you need to achieve the real results you deserve.
Our firm has offices in Corpus Christi, San Antonio, Austin, and Houston, serving clients across Texas and nationwide. Call us today for a free case review — attorneys are available 24/7, nights and weekends. If you cannot make it to our office, we can visit you at your home, in the hospital, or at work.