Details of the Fatal Copiah County Crash
According to WAPT, the crash was reported around 6:30 a.m. on Highway 28. An empty log truck which was traveling eastbound crashed into a truck carrying gravel in the opposite direction.
One of the trucks overturned, blocking lanes in both directions east of Hazlehurst. Charles Ray Halford, 50, the driver of the log truck, died and the scene, and the other driver, James E. Millender, 49, of Crystal Springs, was flown to the University of Mississippi Medical Center in Jackson, where he later died, authorities said.
The cause of the crash is under investigation.
National Trucking Accident Statistics
- The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) recorded 438,000 trucking accidents in the U.S. in 2014.
- These accidents result in 3,903 deaths and 111,000 injuries.
- Of those killed in trucking accidents:
- 17 percent were occupants of large trucks
- 73 percent were occupants of other vehicles
- 10 percent were listed as nonoccupants, including bicyclists and pedestrians
- Texas led the nation in trucking accident fatalities with 553 trucking-related deaths reported. California followed Texas with 300 recorded deaths.
Contact an Experienced Commercial Trucking Accident Attorney
If you or a loved one have suffered a serious injury after being involved in an 18-wheeler accident, contact Thomas J. Henry immediately. Our experienced commercial trucking injury attorneys are available to respond to semi-truck accidents at any hour, day or night. Our lawyers understand that the immediate acquisition of evidence is paramount to understanding how the accident occurred. We will take immediate action on your case.
Our firm has offices in Corpus Christi, San Antonio, Austin, and Houston, serving clients across Texas and nationwide. Remember, your choice does matter. Contact us today for a free legal consultation. Attorneys are available 24/7, nights and weekends.