Two Dead in Truck Accident Near Alma, Texas
Two men died Thursday as a result of a three-vehicle crash on Interstate 45 in Ellis County Thursday afternoon.
Details of the Fatal Alma Truck Accident
According to the Corsicana Daily Sun, the fatal crash occurred around 12:26 pm about two miles outside of Alma, Texas.
Police say a white 2007 GMC box truck was traveling south on I-45 in the far-left lane when it drifted into oncoming traffic traveling in the northbound lanes. The box truck struck the left side of the F-350 before losing control.
The box truck then overturned and hit a Peterbilt tractor-trailer in the accident on I-45 south.
The driver of the box truck, 37-year-old Alan Caro, and a passenger, 35-year-old Anselmo Garza, were pronounced dead at the scene.
The driver of the Peterbilt, 49-year-old Alexander Ortega, was transported to Baylor, Scott & White Hospital in Dallas. The driver of the F-350, 48-year-old Nicolas Nunez, was treated at the scene.
It is unclear what caused the box truck to cross into oncoming traffic. The crash is still under infestation.
2019 Truck Accident Statistics
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA):
- An estimated 538,000 large trucks were involved in police-reported crashes in 2019.
- 5,005 people were killed in truck accidents in 2019, with large trucks accounting for 10 percent of all vehicles involved in fatal collisions for the year.
- 9% of large truck drivers involved in fatal crashes had previously been involved in reported crashes – more than any other vehicle type.
- An additional 159,000 people were injured in truck crashes in 2019.
- Among the states with the most truck accident deaths were:
- Texas: 652 deaths
- California: 408 deaths
- Florida: 349
- Georgia: 204
- Ohio: 172
Speak with an Experienced Dallas Truck Accident Lawyer
If you or a loved one have been injured in a truck accident in or around Dallas, Texas, call Thomas J. Henry to speak with an attorney. Commercial vehicle crashes like those involving large trucks are complex and often result in serious injuries. Our attorneys have the experience and resources to help you secure maximum compensation.
Do not wait. Our Dallas truck accident lawyers are available 24/7 to assist you. Call now for your FREE Case Consultation.