Two Highland High School Students Killed in Crash
Details of the Fatal Mentor Crash
The crash happened about 1:30 a.m. on Mary Ingles Highway near Main Street, according to WCPO.
Austin Davis, the 17-year-old driver, was traveling southbound with three friends when he crossed the centerline, drove parallel the northbound lane, and hit a tree. Both Davis and his passenger David Luckett, 16, died in the crash.
The other two passengers were injured and transported to the University of Cincinnati Medical Center by a medical helicopter.
On Tuesday, Highlands High school officials confirmed that Davis and Luckett had attended the high school. Davis was a junior and Luckett was a freshman. One the other victims was also a student and will likely recover. The condition of the fourth victim is unknown.
The Campbell Country Police Department is investigating the crash.
Teenage Driver Crash Facts 2017
Information taken from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC):
- 2,364 teens in the United States aged 16-19 were killed, and about 300,000 were treated in emergency departments for injuries suffered in motor vehicle crashes.
- Only 58.8% of high school students always wore seat belts when riding as passengers.
- Among young drivers aged 15-20 who died in car crashes in 2017, almost half were unrestrained at the time of the crash (when restraint use was known).
- Despite laws against underaged drinking, 15% of drivers aged 16-20 involved in fatal motor vehicle crashes had a BAC of .08% or higher (a level that is illegal for adults aged 21 and older in all states, except Utah, which has a BAC limit of .05).
- 40% of motor vehicle crash deaths among teen drivers and passengers aged 13-19 occurred between 9 pm and 6 am, and 51% occurred on Friday, Saturday, or Sunday.
- The presence of teen passengers increases the crash risk of unsupervised teen drivers. This risk increases with increased numbers of teen passengers.
Contact an Experienced Car Accident Lawyer
If you or a loved one have been injured in a car crash, contact Thomas J. Henry. Our experienced auto accident attorneys have experience handling a multitude of injury accidents, no matter how severe the crash or injury. You may be entitled to compensation for your damages if another driver acted negligently. Our firm has the experienced lawyers and financial resources that you need to achieve the real results you deserve.
Our firm has offices in Corpus Christi, San Antonio, and Austin, serving clients across Texas and nationwide. Call us today for a free case review — attorneys are available 24/7, nights and weekends. If you cannot make it to our office, we can visit you at your home, in the hospital, or at work.