Two Hospitalized in Suspected Drunk Driving Crash in San Antonio
Two people were hospitalized Friday night following a suspected drunk driving crash in downtown San Antonio.
Details of the Suspected Drunk Driving Crash
According to KSAT, a suspected drunk driver driving a Toyota Camry was traveling north on S. Frio Street when he collided with a police vehicle that was driving south. The driver attempted to flee the scene, continuing north on S. Frio Street.
Police say the driver drove at a high rate of speed, entering oncoming lanes to get around traffic. He also ran a red light at W. Commerce Street.
As the driver approached W. Martin Street, he lost control of the vehicle and crashed into a metal light pole. The car overturned and came to rest on its roof.
A female passenger of the Camry was ejected from the vehicle. She was taken to University Hospital and listed in stable condition. A second passenger was taken to Brooke Army Medical Center in critical condition.
The driver of the Camry was determined to be intoxicated and charged with intoxication assault.
Texas Drunk Driving Accident Statistics
The following information was provided by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT):
- 3,896 people were killed in Texas crashes in 2020, marking a 7.54% increase from the 3,623 deaths reported in 2019.
- 865 of the traffic deaths reported in 2020 were the result of crashes that occurred at or in relation to an intersection.
- 958 people were killed in crashes involving a driver that was under the influence of alcohol.
- An additional 205,498 people were injured in crashes in 2020 with 14,656 people suffering a serious injury.
- Based on reportable crash data for the year:
- One person was killed in a car crash every 2 hours 15 minutes
- One person was injured in a car crash every 2 minutes 34 seconds
- A reportable crash occurred every 1 minute 7 seconds
Speak with a Drunk Driving Accident Attorney Today
If you or a loved one were injured in a crash with a drunk driver, contact Thomas J. Henry Law for your FREE Case Review.
Remember, you are able to file a claim against a drunk driver, even if you are a passenger in the vehicle the drunk driver was operating. Passengers can seek damages related to injuries, lost wages, pain and suffering, and medical bills that resulted from your crash.
Our drunk driving accident attorneys are available 24/7, nights and weekends to assist you. Call now.