Two Killed, Three Hospitalized in Weslaco Wrong-Way Crash
Two people are dead and three others are hospitalized as a result of a head-on collision in Weslaco, Texas.
Car Crosses Center Line, Causes Head-On Collision
According to Valley Central, the fatal head-on crash occurred in a no-passing zone on FM 506 at around 5:49 pm.
Police say a white Chevrolet Spark carrying three people crossed to the wrong side of the road, traveling north in the southbound lane. I collided head-on with a silver Chevrolet Camaro.
The driver of the Chevrolet Spark, identified as 36-year-old Benjamin Caballero, and a passenger, 41-year-old Mario Antonio Solis Sumano, were pronounced dead at the scene. The third passenger was a minor who suffered head injuries and was listed in critical condition.
The driver and passenger of the Chevrolet Camaro were taken to the hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.
The crash remains under investigation. At the moment, it is unclear why the Chevrolet Spark crossed into opposing traffic.
What to Do If a Car Is Traveling in the Wrong Direction
Seeing an oncoming vehicle barreling down your lane of traffic can be horrifying; however, it is important to remain as calm as possible and take appropriate evasive action.
- Removed your foot from the accelerator and begin applying the brakes. Do this quickly, but in a controlled manner. Do not slam on the brakes.
- Flash your headlights and blare your horn to catch the oncoming driver’s attention.
- Steer to the right of the oncoming vehicle. You may be tempted to move left into oncoming lanes, but if the oncoming driver corrects course, you will collide head-on.
- Try to steer into a clear area. Look for a clear shoulder or level terrain.
- If necessary, driver off the road. It is better to crash into a ditch than collide with another vehicle head-on.
- Call the police and report the driver. Even if you are able to make it through unscathed, your call to the police could save lives further down the road.
Speak with an Experienced Car Accident Lawyer
For more than 25 years, our law firm has represented injured clients in car accidents cases. We have helped them secure meaningful results and find closure. Do not wait and risk your claim for compensation. Our firm has offices in Corpus Christi, San Antonio, Austin, and Dallas serving clients across Texas and nationwide. Call Thomas J. Henry Law and speak to a car accident attorney today.