About the Hardin County Accident
- According to reports, teenagers Savion Smith, 16, and Keiron Edwards, 18, were both in the backseat of a Kia Optima being driven by Jacob Eppes.
- The Kia had stopped in the southbound lane of Highway 69 near Cemetery Road as it waited for enough clearance to make a left turn.
- After another car stopped in the oncoming lane, also attempting to make a left turn, Eppes began to proceed and was struck by a third vehicle, a 1994 Chevrolet SUV, as it attempted to pass the stopped car.
- Smith and Edwards both died of their injuries while Eppes and a third passenger, Thomas Buller, 17, was treated at the scene for minor injuries. The driver of the SUV, John DeLaGarza, 62, was also treated for minor injuries.
- DPS is currently reconstructing the accident and plans to issue a full report once investigations are complete.
Texas Auto Accident Statistics
- According to the Texas Department of Transportation, a total of 3,067 people died in 2011 as the result of auto accidents along Texas roads.
- In addition, 80,188 people suffered serious injury.
- Based on 2011 reports:
- 1 person was killed every 2 hours and 51 minutes.
- 1 person was injured every 2 minutes and 28 seconds.
- 1 auto accident was reported every 82 seconds.
Contact an Experienced Auto Accident Attorney
Our attorneys are available to respond to auto accidents at any hour, day or night. Our lawyers understand that the immediate acquisition, or acquiring, of evidence is paramount to understanding how the accident occurred. Remember, your choice does matter. Contact our offices– we are available 24/7, nights and weekends