Woman Sentenced to 14 Years in Prison for Deadly Drunk Driving Accident
A former Texas State University student has been sentenced to 14 years in prison for a fatal drunk driving accident that claimed the lives of a young soon-to-be-father and his unborn child.
Details of the Accident and the Driver’s Sentence
21-year-old Shana Lee Elliott previously pleaded guilty to two counts of intoxicated manslaughter and one count of intoxication assault following a head-on collision along State Highway 21. The collision killed 23-year-old Fabian Guerrero Moreno and injured his pregnant wife, Kristian Nicole Guerrero.
Kirstian was rushed to St. David’s South Austin Medical Center where doctors induced labor in order to save her child’s life. An ultrasound initially revealed that her baby’s heart was still beating; however, a second ultrasound found that the baby no longer had a heartbeat and had died in the womb.
Prosecutors determined that Elliott had been drinking at the San Marcos River prior to the collision. Video evidence presented to jurors also showed Elliott struggling with a sobriety test following the crash.
Elliott was sentenced to seven years in prison for each count of intoxication manslaughter as well as 10 years probation for the intoxication assault charge. Her prison sentences will be served consecutively and her probation will be served concurrently with her prison sentences.
Texas Texas Accident Statistics
The following information was provided by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT):
- 3,773 people were killed in Texas traffic accidents in 2016, marking a 5.45% increase from the 3,578 deaths reported in 2015.
- 638 of the deaths reported in 2016 were attributed to head-on collision.
- Alcohol was determined to be a factor in 987 traffic deaths, accounting for roughly 26% of all Texas traffic fatalities.
- An additional 264,076 people were injured in auto accidents in Texas in 2016.
- Based on reportable data for 2016, TxDOT estimates:
- One person was killed in a traffic accident every 2 hours and 20 minutes.
- One person was injured every 1 minute and 59 seconds.
- A reportable crash occurred every 57 seconds.
Contact an Experienced Texas Auto Accident Attorney
If you or a loved one have been injured in a car crash, contact Thomas J. Henry. Our experienced car accident attorneys have experience handling a multitude of injury accidents, no matter how severe the crash or injury. You may be entitled to compensation for your damages if another driver acted negligently. Our firm has the experienced lawyers and financial resources that you need to achieve the real results you deserve.
Our firm has offices in Corpus Christi, San Antonio, Austin, and Houston, serving clients across Texas and nationwide. Call us today for a free case review — attorneys are available 24/7, nights and weekends. If you cannot make it to our office, we can visit you at your home, in the hospital, or at work.