An 18-year-old was hospitalized in critical condition early Wednesday morning after being struck by a hit-and-run driver on San Antonio’s Northwest Side.
Details of the San Antonio Hit-and-Run
According to KSAT, the victim was struck by a vehicle around 2 a.m. while crossing Chase Hill Boulevard near Loop 1604 and the University of Texas at San Antonio.
Police say the teen was not in a crosswalk when he was struck by a white sedan traveling southbound on Chase Hill. The white sedan apparently crossed the double yellow lines and into oncoming lanes of traffic to pass a stopped vehicle when it hit the teenager.
The white sedan did not stop to render aid and fled the scene.
The teenager was rushed to University Hospital by EMS where he was listed in critical condition. His name has not been released.
Safety Tips for Texas Pedestrians
824 pedestrians were killed in traffic accidents in Texas in 2021. This marked a 15.24% increase from 2020. While we expect drivers to pay attention to the road and their surroundings, distractions and reckless driving behaviors put everyone at risk.
Here are a few tips you may want to remember if you are a pedestrian walking in areas with vehicle traffic.
- Walk on a sidewalk or designated pedestrian path whenever possible. If neither is available, walk facing traffic as far from passing cars as possible. This typically means walking as far to the right as possible.
- Cross streets at marked crosswalks and intersections. This is where drivers most often expect pedestrians. Always check all directions for traffic before crossing.
- Be alert and attentive. Wearing headphones or using your cellphone may distract you from hazards and traffic signals.
- Understand the hazards of walking while impaired. About 33% of fatal pedestrian accidents involve pedestrians who were drunk.
- Do not assume drivers see you. Make eye contact with drivers to make sure they see you before crossing.
- Dress for visibility. This means wearing bright colors during the days and wearing reflective materials or using a flashlight at night.
Contact an Experienced San Antonio Attorney
If you or a loved one were injured in a car crash in or around Austin, Texas, call Thomas J. Henry Law for immediate assistance.
Since 1993, Thomas J. Henry Law has been committed to helping injured victims recover fair compensation for their accidents and injuries. We will examine all avenues, ensuring your claim includes all damages you are eligible for.
Call now to speak with an experienced San Antonio car accident lawyer. We are available 24/7, nights and weekends. Call now for a FREE Case Review.