19-Year-Old Arrested Following Fatal Two-Vehicle, Bicycle Collision in Austin
A man faces felony charges after a fatal crash involving two vehicles and a cyclist in northeast Austin on December 12th, 2023.
KVUE ABC reports that police arrested 19-year-old Alexis Acevedo following a deadly two-vehicle and bicycle collision. Acevedo allegedly fled the scene after the crash, while the other driver remained and cooperated with authorities.
The victim, identified as 31-year-old Ashton Hutchison, was riding a bicycle when the collision occurred near the intersection of East Parmer Lane and Harris Branch Parkway. He tragically died at the scene.
Acevedo was apprehended and charged with two felonies: possession of a controlled substance and accident involving death. He currently remains in jail on a combined bond of $60,000. The investigation into the crash remains ongoing.
Motor Vehicle Substance Abuse Statistics
The information below was taken from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC):
- In 2020, 11,654 people died in alcohol-impaired driving crashes, accounting for 30% of all traffic-related deaths in the United States.
- Of the 755 traffic deaths among children ages 0 to 14 years in 2020, 229 (21%) involved an alcohol-impaired driver.
- 32 people in the United States were killed every day in crashes involving an alcohol-impaired driver—this is one death every 45 minutes in 2020.
- In 2020, more than 1 million drivers were arrested for driving under the influence of alcohol or narcotics. That’s one percent of the 127 million self-reported episodes of alcohol-impaired driving among U.S. adults each year.
- Drugs other than alcohol (legal and illegal) are involved in about 16% of motor vehicle crashes.
- Marijuana use is increasing and 13% of nighttime, weekend drivers have marijuana in their system.
- Marijuana users were about 25% more likely to be involved in a crash than drivers with no evidence of marijuana use, however other factors–such as age and gender–may account for the increased crash risk among marijuana users.
Contact an Experienced Austin Auto Accident Attorney
Have you or a loved one been injured in a car crash? Our experienced Austin car accident lawyers are available 24/7 to take your call and provide you with a free consultation. Thomas J. Henry has a track record of achieving real results for clients suffering from serious and debilitating car accident injuries and was selected as one of the 2021’s Best Car Accident Lawyers in Austin by Expertise.
Let our attorneys navigate the legal process and deal with the insurance companies so you can focus on getting better. Call today to speak with an attorney or fill out the contact form on this page and we will contact you.
Our Austin, Texas Personal Injury Law Offices:
- Phone Number: (512) 520-0221 (attorneys available 24/7, nights and weekends)
- Address: 4401 West Gate Blvd Suite 200, Austin, TX 78745 (walk-in Monday through Friday)