Two men are dead and four others are injured after an SUV that was attempting to evade San Antonio police crashed on the city’s East Side.
Details of the Fatal San Antonio Crash
According to KSAT, the crash occurred on northbound Interstate 35 at around 7:45 am Wednesday.
Authorities say an SAPD officer was patrolling the area and saw an SUV driving erratically. The officer began to follow the SUV to make a traffic stop, but the SUV did not stop.
The SUV then sped off before striking a metal barrier and turning over.
Two men were ejected from the SUV. Both were pronounced dead at the scene. Four others were injured and hospitalized, two of whom were listed in critical condition.
The crash remains under investigation.
2020 Texas Traffic Accident Statistics
Despite the pandemic and reduced traffic, 2020 still proved to be a deadly year for Texas drivers. According to the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT):
- 3,896 people were killed in car crashes in Texas in 2020. A 7.54% increase from 2019.
- The fatality rate on Texas roadways increased a staggering 18.94% from 2019 to 2020
- 538 of those deaths were the result of head-on collisions.
- 865 people were killed in crashes that occurred at or near intersections.
- An additional 205,489 people were injured in traffic crashes in Texas in 2020 with 14,656 people suffering incapacitating injuries.
- Based on reportable data for 2020, TxDOT determined:
- One person was killed in a car crash in Texas every 2 hours and 15 minutes.
- A person was injured in a crash every 2 minutes and 34 seconds.
- A reportable crash occurred every 1 minute 7 seconds.
Were You Injured in a Car Crash? Call Thomas J. Henry Law
For more than 25 years, our law firm has represented injured victims and helped them recover fair compensation for their injuries and damages. Over that time, we have secured record-breaking verdicts and settlements and built a reputation as a firm that puts clients first.
If you or a loved one were injured in a car accident in or around San Antonio, call Thomas J. Henry Law. We are available 24/7, nights and weekends. Call now for your FREE Case Review with a San Antonio car accident attorney.