Austin Police Identify Man Killed in Two-Car Accident
Austin police have released the identity of a man who was killed in two-car cash in northeast Austin on June 13.
About the Fatal Austin Car Accident
According to KXAN, 58-year-old Rickey Delton Gonzales was traveling in a 1989 Chevrolet pickup when he collided with a 2015 Audi in the 7200 block of Ed Bluestein Blvd near Delco Activity Center. Police say Gonzalez was traveling in the wrong direction when the crash occurred.
The driver of the Audi and a child in the backseat of the vehicle were taken to the hospital with serious injuries. Their conditions were not immediately available.
The Austin police department said this was the 51st fatal traffic crash recorded in Austin this year, and Gonzales’s death was the 53rd death related to those crashes. At this time last year, there were 36 fatal crashes and 38 traffic deaths.
What to Do If a Car Is Traveling the Wrong Direction
Seeing an oncoming vehicle barreling down your lane of traffic can be horrifying; however, it is important to remain as calm as possible and attempt to take appropriate evasive action.
- Removed your foot from the accelerator and begin applying the brakes. Do this quickly, but in a controlled manner. Do not slam on the brakes.
- Flash your headlights and blare your horn to catch the oncoming driver’s attention.
- Steer to the right of the oncoming vehicle. You may be tempted to move left into oncoming lanes, but if the oncoming driver corrects course, you will collide head-on.
- Try to steer into a clear area. Look for a clear shoulder or level terrain.
- If necessary, driver off the road. It is better to crash into a ditch than collide with another vehicle head-on.
- Call the police and report the driver. Even if you are able to make it through unscathed, your call to the police could save lives further down the road.
Contact an Experienced Austin Auto Accident Attorney
Have you or a loved one been injured in a car crash? Our experienced Austin car accident lawyers are available 24/7 to take your call and provide you with a free consultation. Thomas J. Henry has a track record of achieving real results for clients suffering from serious and debilitating car accident injuries and was selected as one of the 2021’s Best Car Accident Lawyers in Austin by Expertise.
Let our attorneys navigate the legal process and deal with the insurance companies so you can focus on getting better. Call today to speak with an attorney or fill out the contact form on this page and we will contact you.
Our Austin, Texas Personal Injury Law Offices
- Phone Number: (512) 520-0221 (attorneys available 24/7, nights and weekends)
- Address:4401 West Gate Blvd Suite 200, Austin, TX 78745 (walk-in Monday through Friday)