Driver Charged with DWI in Fatal Auto-Pedestrian Crash
Austin police arrested a driver suspected of driving while intoxicated and causing a fatal pedestrian accident on North Lamar Boulevard.
Details of the Fatal Pedestrian Crash
According to KXAN, the fatal collision occurred around 11:40 pm Friday, August 12 in the northbound lanes of Lamar Boulevard just south of Morrow Street.
Police say the driver struck the pedestrian who was found in the middle of the road. The driver stayed at the scene and called the police.
The pedestrian, an unidentified man, was pronounced dead at the scene.
The driver was charged with driving while intoxicated.
Texas Drunk Driving Accident Statistics
The following information was provided by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT):
- 3,896 people were killed in Texas crashes in 2020, marking a 7.54% increase from the 3,623 deaths reported in 2019.
- 865 of the traffic deaths reported in 2020 were the result of crashes that occurred at or in relation to an intersection.
- 958 people were killed in crashes involving a driver that was under the influence of alcohol.
- An additional 205,498 people were injured in crashes in 2020 with 14,656 people suffering a serious injury.
- Based on reportable crash data for the year:
- One person was killed in a car crash every 2 hours 15 minutes
- One person was injured in a car crash every 2 minutes 34 seconds
- A reportable crash occurred every 1 minute 7 seconds
Contact an Experienced Austin Car Accident Attorney
If you or a loved one were injured in a car crash in or around Austin, Texas, call Thomas J. Henry Law for immediate assistance.
Since 1993, Thomas J. Henry Law has been committed to helping injured victims recover fair compensation for their accidents and injuries. We will examine all avenues, ensuring your claim includes all damages you are eligible for.
Call now to speak with an experienced Austin car accident lawyer. We are available 24/7, nights and weekends. Call now for a FREE Case Review.