Driver Charged with Intoxication Manslaughter in Fatal Houston Crash
A suspected drunk driver is facing an intoxication manslaughter charge following a fatal crash near the Washington Corridor on Friday.
About the Washington Corridor Drunk Driving Crash
According to Click2Houston, police were alerted to a speeding, reckless driver on the Katy Freeway around 12:30 am. Upon arriving to the scene, police found the pickup described in the call had crashed into a minivan at the Patterson intersection.
The driver of the minivan was pronounced dead at the scene. Police believe the driver of the pickup had run a red light at the intersection, causing the crash.
The driver of the pickup was evaluated at the scene and determined to be impaired. They were booked and is expected to be charged with intoxication manslaughter.
Additional details on the identities of the suspected drunk driver and the deceased victim were not immediately available.
Texas Drunk Driving Crash Statistics
The following information was provided by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT):
- 3,896 people were killed in Texas crashes in 2020, marking a 7.54% increase from the 3,623 deaths reported in 2019.
- 865 of the traffic deaths reported in 2020 were the result of crashes that occurred at or in relation to an intersection.
- 958 people were killed in crashes involving a driver that was under the influence of alcohol.
- An additional 205,498 people were injured in crashes in 2020 with 14,656 people suffering a serious injury.
- Based on reportable crash data for the year:
- One person was killed in a car crash every 2 hours 15 minutes
- One person was injured in a car crash every 2 minutes 34 seconds
- A reportable crash occurred every 1 minute 7 seconds
Speak to an Experienced Drunk Driving Attorney About Your Case
If you or a loved one were the victim of a drunk driver, call Thomas J. Henry Law for immediate assistance.
The tragedy of drunk driving crashes is that they are entirely preventable. Drunk drivers make a conscious decision to get behind the wheel intoxicated well aware of the consequence. We believe drunk drivers should be held accountable for their decision.
Call now to speak with an experienced drunk driving accident attorney.