Driver to Serve Up to 40 Years in Prison for San Antonio Crash
A San Antonio man was given sentences ranging from 20 to 40 years in prison in connection to a crash at a bus stop that left four critically injured.
Details of the San Antonio Crash and Resulting Felony Sentences
KSAT reports Jose A. Garcia was a habitual offender with a lengthy criminal history before a 2018 crash at a San Antonio bus stop.
Records show Garcia was driving 60 mph in a 40-mph zone when he veered into oncoming traffic and slammed into the bus stop at Culebra Road and Zarzamora Street. Four people were critically injured in the crash, including a pregnant woman identified as Stephani Johnson Athey.
Fortunately, doctors at University Hospital were able to save the lives of Johnson Athey as well as her son, Ethan, via an emergency c-section.
Garcia had already accumulated multiple DWI convictions and also had a history of family violence. These played a factor in his latest sentencing in Bexar County’s felony impact court.
Among the charges brought against Garcia were four counts of aggravated assault causing serious bodily injury and one count of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. One of the counts of serious bodily injury was dismissed, however, due to a missing witness.
Garcia was given sentences ranging from 20 years all the way up to 40 years.
Texas Drunk Driving Accident Statistics
The following information was provided by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT):
- 3,896 people were killed in traffic crashes in Texas in 2020 – a 7.54% increase from 3,623 deaths in 2019.
- 958 of those traffic fatalities involved a driver that was under the influence of alcohol.
- 865 people were killed in crashes that occurred at intersections.
- Another 205,498 people were injured in Texas traffic crashes in 2020 with 14,656 people suffering serious injury.
- Based on reportable crash data for 2020:
- One person was killed in a car crash in Texas every 2 hours and 15 minutes.
- A person was injured in a car crash every 2 minutes and 34 seconds.
- A reportable crash occurred every 1 minute and 7 seconds.
Speak with Our Experienced San Antonio Car Accident Lawyers
If you or a loved one have been injured in a car accident in San Antonio, call Thomas J. Henry Law to speak with an attorney today.
Our team is experienced in handling car accident cases, and we have the knowledge and resources to help you get the full compensation you deserve. We are committed to your financial recovery as well as ensuring you receive treatment for your injuries.
Our car accident lawyers are available 24/7 to help you. Call now.