Louisiana Woman Killed in Beaumont 18-Wheeler Crash
Beaumont police are investigating a fatal crash in which a Louisiana woman was struck head-on by a tractor-trailer that passed over a guardrail into oncoming traffic.
Details of the Fatal Beaumont Crash
12 News Now reports the fatal collision occurred on Interstate 10 near the downtown Beaumont exit around 10:35 am.
Authorities say a tractor-trailer was traveling on I-10 when for an unknown reason it crashed over the guardrail and struck a black Escalade head-on.
The driver of the Escalade, 67-year-old Emma T. Brooks of Bastrop, Louisiana, died in the crash. The driver of the truck was hospitalized and is expected to survive.
All westbound traffic was diverted off of the interstate at Pine Street as crews cleared the scene. By 11:30 am, traffic was backed up more than three miles.
The crash remains under investigation.
2019 Truck Accident Statistics
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA):
- An estimated 538,000 large trucks were involved in police-reported crashes in 2019.
- 5,005 people were killed in truck accidents in 2019, with large trucks accounting for 10 percent of all vehicles involved in fatal collisions for the year.
- 9% of large truck drivers involved in fatal crashes had previously been involved in reported crashes – more than any other vehicle type.
- An additional 159,000 people were injured in truck crashes in 2019.
- Among the states with the most truck accident deaths were:
- Texas: 652 deaths
- California: 408 deaths
- Florida: 349
- Georgia: 204
- Ohio: 172
Were You Injured in a Truck Accident? Call Thomas J. Henry Law
If you or a loved one were involved in a truck accident in Texas, call Thomas J. Henry Law. Our attorneys have represented truck accident victims across Texas for nearly 30 years. We know how to successfully build your claim in order to put you in the best position to recover maximum compensation for your case.
We have Houston truck accident lawyers available 24/7, nights and weekends to assist you. Call now for your FREE Case Review.