2016 Large Truck Accident Statistics
According to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA):
- In 2016, 4,440 large trucks and buses were involved in fatal crashes, a 2-percent increase from 2015.
- From 2015 to 2016, large truck and bus fatalities per 100 million vehicle miles traveled by all motor vehicles increased by 1.9 percent.
- From 2015 to 2016, the number of fatal crashes involving large trucks or buses increased by 6 percent.
- States ranked as the most hazardous to drive through by percentage of truck driver fatalities:
- Colorado – 3.5%
- Texas – 3.6%
- Alabama – 3.6%
- Oklahoma – 4.6%
- Nebraska – 5.9%
- Wyoming – 6.7%
- North Dakota – 8.8%
Common Causes of Trucking Accidents
The FMCSA ranked the following as the top 10 leading causes for crashes involving large trucks:
- Issues with brakes
- Interruption of traffic flow (congestion, other crashes)
- Prescription drug use
- Traveling too fast for conditions
- Unfamiliarity with roadway
- Roadway problems
- Required to stop before crash (traffic control device, crosswalk)
- Over-the-counter drug use
- Inadequate surveillance
Do I Need an Attorney for My Houston Truck Accident Claim?
The first thing you need to understand when pursuing compensation for a trucking accident is that the playing field is not level.
In Texas, there is a lot of money to be made in commercial trucking. As such, large trucking companies typically employ teams of attorneys whose sole job is to protect the company’s interest. In the event of a trucking accident, that means limiting or eliminating the trucking company’s liability for your injuries.
These entities also have the financial resources to fight long, hard legal battles in a way that leaves individuals at a disadvantage.
Trucking accident claims are further complicated by the existence of complex trucking regulations as well as state and federal laws defining employer liability and the application of respondeat superior.
This is why you need an experienced personal injury attorney who is proficient in trucking accident litigation. Thomas J. Henry has been successfully litigating trucking accident lawsuits across Texas for more than 25 years. Our commercial litigation attorneys understand the statutes regulating commercial trucking companies and their drivers.
Combine that proficiency with the legal and financial resources that only the largest personal injury firm in Texas can provide, and you finally stand a chance of getting the compensation you justly deserve.
Have You Been Hit by a Commerical Truck? Call Thomas J. Henry
If you have been involved in a trucking accident, call Thomas J. Henry. In trucking accident cases, time is of the essence. Your trucking accident attorney will need to collect evidence, determine who is at fault for your injuries, and start the legal process. Our Houston trucking accident lawyers will take immediate action on your case.
Speak to one of our experienced attorneys today for a free legal consultation, or fill out the contact form on this page and a lawyer will reach out to you. We are available 24/7, nights and weekends to assist you and your family. Start your road to recovery today.
Our Houston Personal Injury Law Offices