Police Investigating San Patricio County Crash
Police are investigating a fatal two-car crash that occurred near Mathis over the weekend.
Details of the Two-Car San Patricio Crash
According to KRIS-TV, the fatal crash occurred on February 26, 2022, around 3:00 pm.
Police say the driver of a Toyota Camry with four passengers was traveling north on the Interstate 37 frontage road. As the Camry crossed the SH 359 intersection, it was struck by a Toyota 4Runner that was traveling north on SH 359.
Early reports indicate the driver of the Camry failed to yield the right-of-way.
Several occupants of the Camry were not wearing seatbelts at the time of the collision. One passenger of the Camry, 87-year-old Petra Lopez Casas, was later pronounced dead at the hospital.
The crash remains under investigation.
2020 Texas Traffic Accident Statistics
Despite the pandemic and reduced traffic, 2020 still proved to be a deadly year for Texas drivers. According to the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT):
- 3,896 people were killed in car crashes in Texas in 2020. A 7.54% increase from 2019.
- The fatality rate on Texas roadways increased a staggering 18.94% from 2019 to 2020
- 538 of those deaths were the result of head-on collisions.
- 865 people were killed in crashes that occurred at or near intersections.
- An additional 205,489 people were injured in traffic crashes in Texas in 2020 with 14,656 people suffering incapacitating injuries.
- Based on reportable data for 2020, TxDOT determined:
- One person was killed in a car crash in Texas every 2 hours and 15 minutes.
- A person was injured in a crash every 2 minutes and 34 seconds.
- A reportable crash occurred every 1 minute 7 seconds.
Injured in a Car Crash? Contact Thomas J. Henry Law
If you or a loved one was injured in a car crash, call Thomas J. Henry Law for immediate assistance. For nearly 30 years, our law firm has worked to secure maximum compensation for injured clients. We have built a reputation for being a firm that gets record-breaking verdicts and settlements.
We are committed to our clients’ recovery, financial and otherwise. We believe our clients should be able to focus on their health and family while we deal with their legal claims.
Thomas J. Henry Law has Corpus Christi injury attorneys available 24/7, nights and weekends. Call now for your free case consultation.