Tesla Driver Flees Scene After Killing Pedestrian, Crashing into Building
San Antonio police are searching for a hit-and-run driver responsible for striking and killing a man on the South Side of downtown.
Details of the San Antonio Hit-and-Run
KSAT reports the crash occurred around 1:25 a.m. Saturday near the intersection of South Alamo Street and Probandt Street.
Police say a Tesla was driving northbound when it lost control on a curve, went over a concrete island, and struck a man on the sidewalk. The Tesla then crashed into a building.
The driver of the Tesla fled on foot.
The pedestrian was pronounced dead at the scene. Police say once the Tesla driver is found, they will be charged with Failure to Stop and Render Aid- Death.
Pedestrian Accident Statistics
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), 6,516 pedestrians were killed in traffic crashes in 2020. This averages to more than 17 pedestrian deaths every day or one pedestrian death every 81 minutes.
An additional 55,000 pedestrians were injured in traffic crashes in 2020.
NHTSA urges pedestrians to take extra precautions when walking to avoid injury. These include:
- Follow the rules of the road and obey all traffic signs and signals.
- Walk on the sidewalk whenever one is available. If there is no sidewalk, walk facing traffic and as far from traffic as possible
- Try to cross streets at crosswalks or intersections. If there is no crosswalk or intersection, cross in a well-lit area where you have a good view of traffic.
- Before crossing a street, look in all directions and be aware of traffic turning left or right.
- Watch for cars entering and exiting parking lots and driveways.
Contact an Experienced San Antonio Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
If you or a loved one was injured in a pedestrian accident, contact Thomas J. Henry Law immediately for your FREE case review.
Pedestrian accidents can result in serious, long-lasting injuries. In order to be properly compensated for your injuries and accidents, you want to ensure all available evidence is preserved and collected. Our San Antonio pedestrian accident lawyers will take immediate action on your case, putting you in the best position to secure maximum compensation.
We are available 24/7, nights and weekends. Do not wait, call now.