Two people were killed in a wrong-way collision in Far East Dallas early Sunday morning.
Police Were Trying to Stop Wrong-Way Driver When the Crash Occurred
According to the Dallas Morning News, the fatal crash occurred shortly after 5:45 am Sunday, near the intersection of Interstate 635 and LaPrada Drive.
Dallas police officers were attempting to stop a Dodge Charger traveling south in the northbound lanes of the interstate when the Charger collided head-on with a Toyota Highlander. Both drivers were killed in the crash.
The driver of the Toyota Highlander was identified as 41-year-old Hamilmatou Barry, 41, of Forney. The driver of the Dodge Charger has not been identified.
It was not clear why the Dodge Charger was driving the wrong way on the interstate. The crash remains under investigation.
What to Do If a Car Is Traveling the Wrong Direction
Seeing an oncoming vehicle barreling down your lane of traffic can be horrifying; however, it is important to remain as calm as possible and take appropriate evasive action.
- Remove your foot from the accelerator and begin applying the brakes. Do this quickly, but in a controlled manner. Do not slam on the brakes.
- Flash your headlights and blare your horn to catch the oncoming driver’s attention.
- Steer to the right of the oncoming vehicle. You may be tempted to move left into oncoming lanes, but if the oncoming driver corrects course, you will collide head-on.
- Try to steer into a clear area. Look for a clear shoulder or level terrain.
- If necessary, driver off the road. It is better to crash into a ditch than collide with another vehicle head-on.
- Call the police and report the driver. Even if you are able to make it through unscathed, your call to the police could save lives further down the road.
Contact a Dallas Car Crash Attorney
If you or a loved one has been injured in a car crash in Dallas, Texas, contact Thomas J. Henry Law for a FREE Case Consultation.
Texas law protects victims of negligence. When a person is injured due to the actions of another, they have a right to seek fair compensation for the expenses, injuries, and damages they have suffered.
For nearly 30 years, Thomas J. Henry Law has helped car accident victims secure the financial recovery they deserve. We have achieved record-breaking verdicts and settlements on behalf of our clients, and we remain focused on easing the stress and anxiety that can follow a serious collision. Now it is time to let our success work for you.
Call now to speak with an experienced Dallas car accident attorney. We are available 24/7, nights and weekends to assist you.