A 29-year-old woman is charged with intoxication manslaughter following a crash that killed a pedestrian in Northwest Dallas early Sunday morning.
Details of the Fatal Dallas Pedestrian Accident
According to FOX 4 News, the crash happened around 12:30 am Sunday at W. Northwest Highway and Technology Boulevard.
Police say a man was standing at a crosswalk sign when he was struck by a silver Chevy Malibu traveling eastbound on W. Northwest Hwy. He was taken to the hospital where he died from his injuries.
Police arrested the driver of the Malibu. Authorities have charged her with intoxication manslaughter.
Officials have not yet released the identities of the driver or the deceased pedestrian. The crash remains under investigation.
Pedestrian Accident Statistics and Safety
The Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) recorded 4,852 pedestrian accidents in Texas which resulted in 731 deaths in 2020. This marked a 9% increase over 2019.
TxDOT counted the following as the top contributing to Texas pedestrian accidents:
- Pedestrians failing to yield the right-of-way to vehicles
- Inattentive and distracted drivers
- Drivers failing to yield the right-of-way to pedestrians
In order to reduce the number of pedestrian crashes in our state, TxDOT recommends the following:
- Yield the right-of-way to pedestrians, especially when turning.
- Always stop for pedestrians at crosswalks.
- Be careful when passing stopped buses or other stopped vehicles.
- Be attentive and avoid distractions like cell phones.
- Cross the street at intersections and crosswalks only.
- When crossing, look left, right, then left again.
- Make eye contact with drivers before crossing – do not assume they see you.
- Obey traffic and crosswalk signs.
- Use the sidewalk where able. If there is no sidewalk, walk on the left side of the road facing traffic.
- Avoid distractions, like cell phones and loud music, when walking.
Dallas Pedestrian Accident Statistics
Victims of pedestrian accidents can suffer serious injuries which may result in long-term health complications and disabilities. This is one reason it is so important to hire a personal injury attorney.
If you or a loved one was hit by a car, call Thomas J. Henry Law to begin your claim for financial compensation. We can help you recover damages related to medical bills and lost wages in addition to non-economic damages like pain and suffering and mental anguish. We understand just how stressful a sudden accident, injury, or death of a loved one can be. As such, we want to do everything to help.
Let us focus on the lawsuit while you focus on what’s most important: getting better. Call now for your free case consultation with a licensed Dallas car accident attorney.