Two people are dead and one person is facing manslaughter charges following an early morning crash along Loop 410 in San Antonio, Texas.
About the Fatal San Antonio Drunk Driving Crash
Police and witness reports indicate that the alleged drunk driver, 26-year-old Alejandro Rodriguez, was traveling the wrong way on Loop 410 before causing two separate fatal crashes.
According to Fox 29 News, Rodriguez was traveling west on an eastbound road at around 2:48 am on December 24 when he first caused a crash around Moursund Boulevard. 23-year-old David Alaquinez attempted to avoid colliding with the wrong-way driver, but then accidentally crashed into an 18-wheeler and died at the scene.
Rodriguez left the scene of the initial collision and continued on Loop 410 only to slam into a pickup at Somerset Road, killing the driver, 33-year-old Jay Simon Mejia. Rodriguez’s vehicle burst into flames following the impact.
Rodriguez and his passenger were taken to ta hospital and are expected to survive. Rodriguez has since been arrested for intoxication manslaughter.
Texas Drunk Driving Accident Statistics
The following information was provided by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT):
- 3,773 people were killed in Texas traffic accidents in 2016, marking a 5.45% increase from the 3,578 deaths reported in 2015.
- 638 of the deaths reported in 2016 were attributed to head-on collision.
- Alcohol was determined to be a factor in 987 traffic deaths, accounting for roughly 26% of all Texas traffic fatalities.
- An additional 264,076 people were injured in auto accidents in Texas in 2016.
- Based on reportable data for 2016, TxDOT estimates:
- One person was killed in a traffic accident every 2 hours and 20 minutes.
- One person was injured every 1 minute and 59 seconds.
- A reportable crash occurred every 57 seconds.
Contact an Experienced Texas Auto Accident Attorney
If you or a loved one have been injured in a car crash, contact Thomas J. Henry. Our experienced San Antonio car accident attorneys have experience handling a multitude of injury accidents, no matter how severe the crash or injury. You may be entitled to compensation for your damages if another driver acted negligently. Our firm has the experienced lawyers and financial resources that you need to achieve the real results you deserve.
Our firm has offices in Corpus Christi, San Antonio, and Austin, serving clients across Texas and nationwide. Call us today for a free case review — attorneys are available 24/7, nights and weekends. If you cannot make it to our office, we can visit you at your home, in the hospital, or at work.