One person was killed and a second was injured in a fiery car crash on Loop 1604 near medina Creek in Bexar County.
About the Fatal Bexar County Crash
According to KSAT, the crash occurred early Friday morning, just after midnight.
Police say a car traveling on Loop 1604 southbound when it went off the road and into a median. The vehicle then crashed through a barrier and fell 60 feet into an embankment.
The vehicle rolled several times and caught on fire.
Crews were able to extricate the male driver of the vehicle who was then transported to a nearby hospital. The passenger, a female, was pronounced dead at the scene.
Lanes of Loop 1604 were closed for six hours as crews worked the scene. The crash remains under investigation.
2020 Texas Traffic Accident Statistics
Despite the pandemic and reduced traffic, 2020 still proved to be a deadly year for Texas drivers. According to the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT):
- 3,896 people were killed in car crashes in Texas in 2020. A 7.54% increase from 2019.
- The fatality rate on Texas roadways increased a staggering 18.94% from 2019 to 2020
- 538 of those deaths were the result of head-on collisions.
- 865 people were killed in crashes that occurred at or near intersections.
- An additional 205,489 people were injured in traffic crashes in Texas in 2020 with 14,656 people suffering incapacitating injuries.
- Based on reportable data for 2020, TxDOT determined:
- One person was killed in a car crash in Texas every 2 hours and 15 minutes.
- A person was injured in a crash every 2 minutes and 34 seconds.
- A reportable crash occurred every 1 minute 7 seconds.
Injured in a San Antonio Crash? Contact Thomas J. Henry Law
If you or a loved one has been injured in a car crash in San Antonio, call Thomas J. Henry Law for a free case consultation. Our attorneys have represented injured clients across Texas for nearly 30 years. We have the experience and resources to handle your car accident claim aggressively and effectively.
We are available 24/7, nights and weekends. Call now for your FREE case review.