Police Identify Man Killed in Southeast Austin Crash
Authorities have identified an elderly man killed late last month in a two-vehicle crash in Southeast Austin.
Details of the Fatal Austin Crash
According to CBS Austin, the fatal crash occurred Saturday, February 26, at around 6:45 am.
Police responded to the intersection of Highway 183 and Riverside Drive to find a Kia Sorento had collided with a pickup truck. The driver of the truck, now identified as 83-year-ol Edward Brown, was transported to the hospital where he was pronounced dead.
The driver of the Kia remained on the scene and is cooperating with investigators. Anyone with details on the crash is asked to call the Highway Investigation Tip at 512-974-8111.
This is the 14th traffic fatality recorded in Austin in 2022.
2020 Texas Traffic Accident Statistics
Despite the pandemic and reduced traffic, 2020 still proved to be a deadly year for Texas drivers. According to the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT):
- 3,896 people were killed in car crashes in Texas in 2020. A 7.54% increase from 2019.
- The fatality rate on Texas roadways increased a staggering 18.94% from 2019 to 2020
- 538 of those deaths were the result of head-on collisions.
- 865 people were killed in crashes that occurred at or near intersections.
- An additional 205,489 people were injured in traffic crashes in Texas in 2020 with 14,656 people suffering incapacitating injuries.
- Based on reportable data for 2020, TxDOT determined:
- One person was killed in a car crash in Texas every 2 hours and 15 minutes.
- A person was injured in a crash every 2 minutes and 34 seconds.
- A reportable crash occurred every 1 minute 7 seconds.
Injured in an Auto Accident? Contact Thomas J. Henry Law
If you have been injured in a car crash in Austin or a nearby community, call Thomas J. Henry Law for your free case review. For nearly 30 years, our dedicated attorneys have helped injured victims get the compensation they deserve.
We have attorneys standing by 24/7, nights and weekends to assist you. Also, because we work on a contingency fee basis, you pay us nothing unless and until we win your case. Call now to speak to an Austin car accident attorney.