Teen Killed, 3 Hospitalized in 18-Wheeler Crash Near North Texas School
Police are investigating an 18-wheeler crash near Wills Point High School which left one teen dead and several others injured on Wednesday.
About the Wills Point Trucking Accident
According to WFAA, the crash occurred at the intersection of U.S. Highway 80 and F.M. 2965 east of Willis Point High School, about 50 miles east of Dallas.
Upon arriving at the scene, authorities found a passenger car and an 18-wheeler had been involved in a crash. There were four Wills Point High School students in the passenger car and a man in the 18-wheeler.
One of the high school students was declared dead at the scene. The three other high schoolers were rushed to a hospital in Tyler. The driver of the 18-wheeler was evaluated at the scene and then released.
It is unclear what caused the crash, and the accident remains under investigation.
The names of those involved in the crash were not released.
2019 Truck Accident Statistics
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA):
- An estimated 538,000 large trucks were involved in police-reported crashes in 2019.
- 5,005 people were killed in truck accidents in 2019, with large trucks accounting for 10 percent of all vehicles involved in fatal collisions for the year.
- 9% of large truck drivers involved in fatal crashes had previously been involved in reported crashes – more than any other vehicle type.
- An additional 159,000 people were injured in truck crashes in 2019.
- Among the states with the most truck accident deaths were:
- Texas: 652 deaths
- California: 408 deaths
- Florida: 349
- Georgia: 204
- Ohio: 172
Call an Experienced 18-Wheeler Accident Lawyer
18-wheeler accidents can be catastrophic, resulting in serious injuries and death. When an 18-wheeler crash is caused by negligence or reckless behavior, you deserve to be compensated for your injuries.
Since 1993, Thomas J. Henry has fought for victims injured in 18-wheeler crashes across Texas. Protect your rights. Call Thomas J. Henry Law today to speak with an experienced Dallas 18-wheeler accident attorney.