Woman Arrested After Deadly Hit-and-Run in Kyle, Texas
Police in Kyle have arrested a woman suspected of fleeing the scene of an accident that left a bicyclist dead.
Details of the Deadly Kyle Bicycle Accident
According to KXAN, the crash occurred on March 13 around 10:00 pm.
Police say Elizabeth Jenell Mitchell, 35, struck 26-year-old bicyclist Bret Steinmann in the southbound lanes of the Interstate 35 access road before fleeing the scene. Steinmann was rushed to the Ascension Set Hays emergency room where he died from his injuries.
A witness followed Mitchell until she stopped her vehicle. Mitchell returned to the scene of the crash on foot and admitted to the crash as well as to fleeing the scene.
Upon inspecting Mitchell’s vehicle, officers noted it had sustained extensive damage to its front end, hood, windshield, and roof.
Mitchell was arrested for an accident involving death in addition to unrelated charges from Hays County.
The crash remains under investigation.
National Bicycle Accident Fatality Statistics
The following information was provided by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS):
- 843 bicyclists were killed in motor vehicle accidents in 2019, marking a 3% decrease from the 868 deaths reported in 2018.
- Since 1975, the number of deaths among bicyclists ages 20 and older has tripled.
- Males accounted for 86% of those killed in bicycle accidents in 2019.
- 62% of bicyclists killed in traffic crashes in 2019 were not wearing helmets at the time of the crash. 15% were determined to be wearing a helmet and in 23% of fatal crashes, helmet use could not be determined.
- Fatal bicycle accidents were more common in the summer and 21% occurred between 6 pm and 9 pm.
Struck by a Hit-and-Run Driver? Contact Thomas J. Henry Law
If you or a loved one has been involved in a crash with a hit-and-run driver, contact Thomas J. Henry as soon as possible. When a motorist attempts to evade the consequences of their negligence, they often face criminal charges. However, this does not prevent you from seeking financial compensation for your injuries in the form of a personal injury lawsuit.
Thomas J. Henry Law is committed to helping our clients secure the financial recovery they deserve. We will investigate your case, gather evidence, and advocate on your behalf to make sure you are properly compensated for the damages you have suffered.
Call now to speak with a San Antonio car accident attorney. We are available 24/7, nights and weekends.