Austin Driver Charged in Fatal DUI Crash
A man was arrested following a fatal crash in Austin involving a motorcycle and an SUV on December 2.
Details of the Fatal Austin DUI Crash
According to the Crothersville Times, the fatal collision occurred around 4 pm at the intersection of South Dowling Street and State Road 256 on Austin’s west side.
Police say Terry G. Richards, 56, was driving a green 2006 GMC Envoy northbound on South Dowling Street when he disregarded a stop sign at State Road 256. He struck a 1985 Honda Shadow motorcycle operated by 36-year-old Michael W. Taylor, II.
Taylor was thrown from the motorcycle and suffered life-threatening injuries. He was rushed to Scott Memorial Hospital by Scott County EMS but was pronounced dead upon arriving to the hospital.
Richards was uninjured.
Richards submitted to a blood alcohol test and was determined to have a BAC over .08. He was arrested for causing death while operating a vehicle under the influence of alcohol, a felony offense.
The crash remains under investigation.
Texas Drunk Driving Crash Statistics
The following information was provided by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT):
- A total of 4,489 people were killed in crashes in Texas in 2021, marking a 15.22% increase from the 3,896 traffic deaths reported in 2020.
- Traffic accidents at intersections accounted for 1,037 of those deaths.
- Alcohol was determined to be a factor in 1,077 of traffic deaths, or about 24% of all traffic deaths reported in Texas.
- An additional 239,539 people were injured in Texas crashes in 2021 with 19,488 people suffering a serious injuries.
- Based on reportable data for 2021,
- 1 person was killed in a crash in Texas every 1 hour and 57 minutes.
- 1 person was injured every 2 minutes and 12 seconds.
- A reportable crash occurred every 57 seconds.
Injured in an Austin Crash? Call Thomas J. Henry Law
If you or a loved one have been injured in a car crash in or around Austin, call Thomas J. Henry Law for immediate representation.
For nearly 30 years, Thomas J. Henry Law has fought to secure meaningful compensation for clients injured in car accidents, company vehicle accidents, and trucking accidents throughout Texas. We have built a reputation for being a firm that fights for our clients and gets them results.
Do not wait, call now for a FREE Case Consultation. We are available 24/7, nights and weekends.