About the Arlington Accident
Investigators informed that a four-passenger vehicle was pushed off the road in Arlington when 38 year-old Eldrick Westwood ran a red light. His impact caused the other car to spin into a light pole, leaving one passenger dead at the scene.
The three remaining passengers were taken to the hospital for treatment where one died due to injury and two survived with major and minor injuries. The deceased have been identified as Alejandre Alvarado, 26, and Alexandra Rodriguez, 19.
Eldrick Westbrook survives in custody at Arlington city jail where he has been charged with two counts of intoxication manslaughter and one count of intoxication assault.
Texas Auto Accident Statistics
According to 2013 crash data published by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT):
- 1 person was killed due to reportable motor vehicle accident every 2 hours and 36 minutes.
- 1 person was injured in a car crash every 2 minutes and 16 seconds.
- A reported automobile accident occurred every 71 seconds.
- 1,089 people died in alcohol crashes in the year of 2013.
- 32.2% of total people killed in automobile accidents are involved drunk driving.
- In 2013, DUI accidents were most likely to occur between the early hours of 2:00a.m. and 2:59a.m.
- These crashes were most likely to take place on Saturdays.