How do Premises Liability Cases Work?
The concept of premises liability involves an injury caused by a dangerous, unsafe, or defective condition on a property. These types of cases can be difficult to navigate on your own. It is important to reach out to a local Austin slip and fall lawyer to assist with your claim.
In order to have a viable premises liability claim in Austin, there are few things that must be proven:
- The entity you are bringing the claim against must have created or contributed to the factor that caused your injury
- The property or business owner knew about the factor but did not take reasonable care to remedy it; or the dangerous factor was present for a period of time in which it should have been properly addressed
- The property owner allowed you, either as an invitee or licensee, to be on the premises where the accident occurred
By speaking with a slip and fall attorney in Austin, you can better understand if you have a case or not. At Thomas J. Henry, our team of premises liability lawyers have handled all types of cases. We will provide you with a free case consultation, go over the facts and evidence, and determine if you have a claim.
What Kind of Cases Fall Under Premises Liability in Austin, Texas?
There are many types of cases that fall under premises liability. Any sort of accident that was caused by a dangerous condition or unsafe premises could be a potential case. Generally, property owners owe a duty of care to visitors to provide a safe environment. Here are a few examples of premises liability cases:
- Dog bites and other animal bites
- In 2015, there were 1,696 dog bite reports in Travis County, which has increased dramatically over a 10 year span (778 dog bite reports in 2005).
- Apartment complex accidents (defective railings, sidewalks that are unsafe or un-cared for, lack of maintenance to buildings)
- Elevator and escalator accidents
- Improper lighting or negligent security
- Slips and falls
- Swimming pool incidents
The Importance of Documenting Your Injury from a Fall or Bite
In many cases involving injuries on dangerous premises, there may not be a witness around to attest that the accident occurred. Unfortunately, if you do not immediately report the incident to the property owner, your claim of injury may be outright denied.
Large corporations and store chains will have a procedure to handle visitors that are hurt on their property, whether it was due to an unsafe condition under their control or not. If you fall in a store or are otherwise injured due to an unsafe condition, be sure to speak to a manager and file their incident report. Don’t forget to ask for a copy of the report as well.
In other premises liability cases, you may be injured on a property where there is no manager or property owner around. One example is if you are bitten by a dog that got loose. In these cases, you can document the incident and your injuries by calling 911 and speaking with a law enforcement officer or an EMT. Regardless, if you suffer a serious injury due to a dog bite or fall, be sure to call the police and ask for an ambulance. Your health and wellness is paramount, so be sure to get any injuries checked out immediately.
In addition, there are resources to report certain types of premises accidents or dangerous premises to proper authorities in Austin, Texas:
- If emergency care is needed, call 911 immediately after any type of slip, fall, dog bite, or other injury caused by a dangerous condition on someone else’s property.
- Report an animal bite: Call 311. If you are a Travis County citizen in an unincorporated area, call 512-974-2000 to report a bite.
- Report code violations, including dangerous premises: Call 311, or submit a report online here.
What To Do After Suffering an Injury on a Dangerous Premises
If you’ve been hurt in a premises liability accident in Austin, such as a slip and fall or dog bite, follow these steps to protect your health and your rights:
- Seek medical treatment immediately for your injuries, whether it is being seen by emergency services at the scene of the accident or making an appointment with your primary care physician soon after.
- If possible, file a report with the property owner or manager and ask for a copy.
- Take pictures of the scene, including anything that contributed to your injury. Also, take pictures of the injuries you sustained.
- If there were witnesses to the accident, ask for their names and contact information.
- Contact an Austin premises liability lawyer at your earliest convenience to receive a legal consultation.
Do You Have a Premises Liability Case? Speak to Our Slip and Fall Lawyers in Austin, TX
Thomas J. Henry has been handling all types of premises liability cases in Austin, across Texas, and the entire United States. Our slip and fall accident law firm in Austin fights diligently on behalf of our severely injured clients to get the compensation they deserve for medical bills and lost wages. Premises liability cases are complex and require experienced Austin slip and fall accident attorneys on your side.
If you’ve been hurt on dangerous premises, call Thomas J. Henry Injury Attorneys today for a free case review. Our experienced Austin premises liability lawyers are available when you need us. Available 24/7, nights and weekends, we are ready to provide you and your family with a free legal consultation.
Our Austin, Texas Personal Injury Law Offices