About the Fatal Dalhart Accident
Authorities state a Chevrolet Tahoe carrying six residents of Phoenix, Arizona lost control along U.S. Interstate 54, roughly 12 miles southwest of Dalhart, and spun into oncoming traffic. The vehicle was struck by a 2012 Buick Enclave.
Three of the Tahoe’s occupants were killed in the crash: Paz Alejandra Rocha, 34, Gilberto Garcia Perez, 38, and an 11-year-old boy whose name has not been released.
The driver of the Tahoe, Jose De Jesus Flores-Silva, 36, was injured in the accident as were two other passengers, Martha Rocha, 32, and an 11-month-old boy. All are listed in stable condition.
The driver of the Buick, Dennis Randy Blum, 69, and his passenger, Karla Mae Blum, 68, were also hospitalized following the crash. Dennis Blum is listed in stable condition and Karla Blum was listed in critical condition have suffering life-threatening injuries.
Texas Auto Accident Statistics
The following information was provided by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT):
- 3,377 people lost their lives in auto accidents in Texas in 2013 – a 1.05-percent decrase from the 3,413 traffic fatalities recorded in 2012.
- 523 of the traffic-related deaths recorded in 2013 were attributed to head-on collisions and 1,833 occurred in rural areas of the state.
- Another 232,041 people were injured in auto accidents in 2013 with 89,270 people sustaining serious injuries.
- Using available traffic data for 2013, TxDOT estimates:
- One person was killed in an auto accident in Texas every 2 hours and 36 minutes.
- A person was injured in an auto accident every 2 minutes and 16 seconds.
- A reportable crash occurred every 71 seconds.