At Least 6 Dead, Dozens Injured in Fort Worth Pileup
At least six people are dead and dozens of others are injured following a massive pileup involving 75 to 100 vehicles on Interstate 35 near downtown Fort Worth.
Investigation into Catastrophic Fort Worth Pileup Underway
According to the Star-Telegram, the fatal pileup occurred Thursday morning in the southbound lanes of Interstate 35. More than 75 cars and 18-wheelers were involved in the nearly one-mile stretch of wreckage.
Fort Worth police have confirmed six victims have died. At least 36 others were transported to hospitals with several reported to have critical injuries.
Weather is believed to have played a role in the fatal pileup with icy roads reported across the Dallas-Fort Worth area, including the stretch between 28th Street and Northside Drive where the pileup occurred. Authorities who responded said they found new victims every few minutes with several people requiring extrication from their vehicles.
Long delays are expected as crews attempt to clear the roadway of wreckage, and motorists are advised to avoid the area. A family reunification center was set up at the Riverside Community Center at 3700 E. Belknap St. Family. Family members of those involved in the pileup were instructed to pick up their loved ones there.
Tips for Driving in Icy Conditions
The bottom line is you should never drive on icy roads if at all avoidable. This is the best way to avoid an accident. While it may seem inconvenient to delay your commute or remain at home, it is far less of an inconvenience than being involved in an accident.
However, if you must drive on icy roads or if you find yourself in unexpected icy conditions, follow these safety tips to reduce your risk of collision and injury.
- Slow Down: Speeding is the top factor for traffic factors and this is especially true in icy conditions. You should GREATLY reduce your speed when dealing with icy conditions, never exceeding 45 mph in any vehicle when the roads are icy.
- Wear Your Seatbelt: This should always be a top priority when getting behind the wheel. All other safety tips below are meant to control your behavior, but you cannot account for the actions of others. A seatbelt will help reduce your risk of injury or death whether your accident was your fault or the fault of another.
- Easy on the Breaks: Brake application is a common trigger for slides and loss of control on icy roadways. Additionally, antilock brakes (ABS) do not always work well on ice and snow. Do not slam your breaks and always use a gentle touch, softly pumping the breaks if necessary.
- Turn into the Slide: If you do find yourself fishtailing or sliding, gently turn into the slide. This means turning your steering wheel in the direction that the rear of your car is sliding. Look where you want to go, and be careful not to overcorrect.
- Avoid Hills and Inclines: If you attempt to tackle too steep of an incline, there is nothing you can do once gravity takes over. Your car will lose traction and you will slide down the incline with no control of speed or direction.
Contact an Experienced Texas Car Accident Lawyer
If you or a loved one have been injured in a car crash, contact Thomas J. Henry Law. Our experienced Texas car accident attorneys have experience handling a multitude of injury accidents, no matter how severe the crash or injury. You may be entitled to compensation for your damages if another driver acted negligently. Our firm has the experienced lawyers and financial resources that you need to achieve the real results you deserve. If you have lost a loved one to a car accident, our Texas wrongful death attorneys stand ready to help you navigate your claim.
Our firm has offices in Corpus Christi, San Antonio, and Austin serving clients across Texas and nationwide. Call us today for a free case review — attorneys are available 24/7, nights and weekends. If you cannot make it to our office, we can visit you at your home, in the hospital, or at work.
Thomas J. Henry Law Offices with a Car Accident Lawyer in TX:
- Phone Number: (512) 520-0221 (attorneys available 24/7, nights and weekends)
- Address: 5707 Southwest Pkwy, Suite 125 Building 2, Austin, Texas 78735 (walk-in Monday through Friday)
- Corpus Christi
- Phone number: 361-254-7873 (attorneys available 24/7 to assist you)
- Address: 521 Starr Street, Corpus Christi, Texas 78401 (walk-in Monday through Friday)
- San Antonio
- Phone number: 210-941-2191 (attorneys available 24/7 to assist you)
- Address: 5710 W Hausman Rd, Suite 108, San Antonio, Texas 78249 (walk-in Monday through Friday)