A 20-year-old man was killed in a motorcycle accident on Ocean Drive near Ayers Street Saturday evening.
Police Cite Failure to Yield as Cause of Fatal Corpus Christi Motorcycle Crash
According to the Corpus Christi Caller Times, Jake Herrera, 20, was traveling on Ocean Drive around 7 pm when he collided with a car.
Police say the motorcycle was traveling at a fast speed when a Jeep failed to yield and caused the collision. Emergency responders performed CPR on Herrera before taking him to a hospital where he was pronounced dead.
The driver of the Jeep, a 60-year-old, remained at the scene and was cited for failure to yield.
Motorcycle Accident Statistics
The following information regarding motorcycle accidents is provided by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA):
- 4,976 motorcyclists were killed in motor vehicle traffic crashes in 2015 — an increase of eight percent from 2014.
- Motorcyclists injured in crashes decreased in 2015, with an estimated 88,000 sustaining injuries in motor vehicle wrecks compared to 92,000 in 2014.
- Although motorcycles accounted for a mere three percent of all registered vehicles in the United States in 2014, motorcyclist fatalities accounted for 14 percent of all traffic crash deaths.
- In 2015, one-third of all motorcycle riders involved in fatal crashes were speeding.
- Florida lead the nation in motorcyclist fatalities (616) followed by California (462) and Texas (443).
Injuries Often Associated with Motorcycle Accidents
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), per vehicle mile traveled in 2014, motorcyclist fatalities occurred nearly 27 times more frequently than passenger car occupant fatalities in traffic crashes. Motorcyclists were also five times more likely to be injured in a crash. Several factors can cause motorcycle accidents, from speeding and objects in the roadway to mechanical issues and alcohol use.
Common injuries associated with motorcycle accidents include:
Speak to a Corpus Christi Motorcycle Accident Attorney
Following a motorcycle accident, it is important to seek immediate medical treatment and file a police report. After you or your loved one’s well-being is taken care of, call Thomas J. Henry. We’re available 24/7 to take your call and discuss your case at no charge. For more than 25 years, our motorcycle accident attorneys in Corpus Christi have helped injured victims receive the justice and compensation they deserve.