One Killed and Two Injured in Corpus Christi Crash
About the Fatal Head-On Collision
“The passenger was secured, but the crushing injuries were so severe, on that side of the car, that there was no way the seatbelt would have saved her life.” – Officer James Burdett as published by KRIS-TV
The collision resulted in the death of Tammy Alvarado, 42, who was a passenger in the minivan – she was pronounced dead at the scene.
The driver of the minivan, 36-year-old Randolph Irwin, sustained serious facial injuries and was rushed to the hospital where he remains in critical condition.
Gomez has also been hospitalized and is listed in serious condition. Though the accident is still under investigation, authorities claim Gomez is responsible for the accident.
Gomez will likely face charges for the fatal accident.
Texas Auto Accident Statistics
- The Texas Department of Transportation recorded 3,399 vehicle traffic fatalities in 2012 – a 10.82 increase from the 3,067 deaths recorded in 2011.
- Of those deaths, 533 were attributed to head-on collisions and 55.7 percent (1,892 deaths) occurred in rural areas.
- The Texas Department of Transportation also reports that 230,506 people were injure in auto accidents with 87,087 people suffering a serious injury.
- The department estimates that:
- One person was killed every 2 hours and 35 minutes.
- One person was injured every 2 minutes and 17 seconds.
- One reportable crash occurred every 75 seconds.