Car Crashes into 18-Wheeler on I-10
About the San Antonio Trucking Accident
According to sources, a man had sustained life-threatening injuries after he crashed into the back of an 18-wheeler on Interstate 10. The accident took place in the eastbound lanes near De Zavala Road at 10 a.m.
From Loop 1604 to DeZavala Road, there was major congestion and even closed lanes.
Reports indicate another driver switched lanes, attempting to avoid the slower 18-wheeler and by doing so, the injured driver had no time to stop his vehicle, explained San Antonio Police Department Sgt. J. Perdue.
San Antonio Police Department Spokesman Officer Douglas Greene explained how the bystanders pulled the man from his vehicle until emergency crews arrived. He was later transferred by the emergency crews to the hospital having sustained life-threatening injuries.
The driver of the truck was unharmed.
Trucking Accident Statistics
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration provided the following from he year 2013:
- There were about 4,000 people killed in crashes involving large trucks
- There were about 95,000 people injured in crashes involving large trucks
- About 71% of people killed in large-truck crashes were occupants of the other vehicle
- Large-truck drivers had the highest percentage (15%)of previously recorded crashes compared to drivers of other vehicle types
- 73 percent of fatal crashes occurred during the daytime hours of 6 a.m. to 5:59 p.m.