Construction Worker Dies in Dump Truck Accident at California Landfill
California OSHA is Investigating
A construction worker was involved in a fatal accident at around 3:00 p.m. local time at Prima Deshecha Landfill on La Pata Avenue. Officials say the man was found between the frame and the trailer of a dump truck. The man, identified as 38-year-old Ivan Montano, died at the scene.
A wrench and hydraulic fluid were found near the accident site, reports The Temecula Patch. Authorities believe the man was working on manually lowering the bed of the trailer when he was caught inside.
The California Division of Occupational Safety and Health (OSHA) is investigating the fatal work accident. The Temecula Patch reports that Montano worked for Redhawks Construction Co.
On the Job Accident Statistics
According to the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA),
- In 2014, 4,821 workers died on the job.
- On average, more than 92 workers died every week.
- Out of 4,386 worker fatalities in the private industry in 2014, 899 died in construction accidents.
- 39 out of the 899 (4.3%) deaths were due to a worker being caught-in/between equipment or an object.
- The leading cause of private sector worker deaths in the construction industry is falls (39.9%).