Police in Dallas are searching for a driver who fled the scene of a fatal crash that killed two teenagers and injured three others.
Details of the Fatal Dallas Crash
FOX 4 News reports the fatal crash occurred Friday night around 9 pm.
Police say a pickup was traveling southbound in the 13900 block of Esperanza Road in Far North Dallas when it crossed the center line and struck an SUV head-on.
Five minors in the SUV were rushed to the hospital. The driver and front passenger of the SUV were later pronounced dead. They have been identified as Crystal Pineda, 16, and her brother, Andres Pineda, 15. The three other juveniles suffered non-life-threatening injuries.
According to the family members of Crystal and Andres Pineda, the two teens were on their way to get food when the crash occurred.
The driver of the truck fled the scene, leaving his vehicle behind. Drink containers were found at the scene, but authorities did not indicate whether they were for alcoholic beverages.
Police identified the suspect as Faustino Membreno Rivera. Anyone with information on Rivera or about the crash should call Det. Kenneth Watson at 214-671-0015.
2020 Texas Traffic Accident Statistics
Despite the pandemic and reduced traffic, 2020 still proved to be a deadly year for Texas drivers. According to the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT):
- 3,896 people were killed in car crashes in Texas in 2020. A 7.54% increase from 2019.
- The fatality rate on Texas roadways increased a staggering 18.94% from 2019 to 2020
- 538 of those deaths were the result of head-on collisions.
- 865 people were killed in crashes that occurred at or near intersections.
- An additional 205,489 people were injured in traffic crashes in Texas in 2020 with 14,656 people suffering incapacitating injuries.
- Based on reportable data for 2020, TxDOT determined:
- One person was killed in a car crash in Texas every 2 hours and 15 minutes.
- A person was injured in a crash every 2 minutes and 34 seconds.
- A reportable crash occurred every 1 minute 7 seconds.
Contact an Experienced Dallas Car Accident Lawyer
If you or a loved one is involved in a car crash, you deserve you have your rights protected. Working with a Dallas car accident attorney can help ensure you receive the justice and financial compensation you deserve. We can also help you hold the person responsible for your crash liable.
Call Thomas J. Henry Law today for a FREE Case Review.