Denver City Man Killed in Freak Accident
A man from Denver City, Texas was fatally injured Thursday morning after a brake drum crashed through his windshield.
About the Fatal Accident
According to KOB, Freddy Olivas Gonzales was driving northbound on State Road 8 in Lea County, New Mexico when he was fatally struck by a brake drum that had fallen off the vehicle in front of him.
Police said the accident occurred between Eunice and Hobbs. They believe Gonzales attempted to avoid the drum, but was unsuccessful.
Police are still trying to identify the vehicle that the brake drum fell off of, and are asking anyone with information to come forward.
U.S. Auto Accident Statistics
- The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration recorded 33,561 traffic related deaths in 2012 – up 3.3 percent from the 32,479 deaths recorded in 2011.
- Another 2,362,000 people were injured in auto accidents, increasing from 2,217,000 in 2011.
- Of those killed in traffic accidents in 2012:
- 21,667 were occupants of passenger vehicles.
- 4,957 were motorcyclists (operators and passengers)
- 4,743 were pedestrians
- 726 were pedalcyclists
- 697 were occupants of large trucks
- 223 were listed as uknown