Didn’t Provide Aid to Victims
Late Wednesday night, Elixabeth Blackwood crashed into a motorcycle driven by a man and woman on Woodstock Cuba Road in Millington, Tennessee. Following the crash, Blackwood fled the scene, driving to her neighbor’s house.
WREG reports that Blackwood did not assist the two people that were injured in the crash. According to police, Blackwood attempted to hide her damaged car behind her house.
Bruce Kingdon, 53, the driver of the motorcycle, died in the crash. A female passenger on the motorcycle was transported to the hospital in critical condition. WREG reports that one of her legs was severed during the accident.
Blackwood faces charges of failing to report an accident, leaving the scene of an accident, and failing to yield the right of way.
Motorcycle Crash Statistics
The following information is provided by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS):
- A total of 4,295 motorcyclists died in crashes in 2014.
- Motorcycle deaths accounted for 13 percent of all motor vehicle crash deaths in 2014.
- Helmets are about 37 percent effective in preventing motorcycle deaths and about 67 percent effective in preventing brain injuries.
- Only 19 states and the District of Columbia mandate helmet use by all riders.
- Fifty-eight percent of motorcyclist deaths in 2014 occurred in multiple-vehicle crashes.