Drunk Driver Sentenced to 10 Years in Prison for Traffic Death of Dallas Police Officer
Convicted drunk driver Adrian Breedlove has been sentenced to 10 years in prison for a crash that killed Dallas police officer Jamie Givens.
Drunk Driver Charged with Intoxication Manslaughter of a Peace Officer
According to FOX 4 News, Breedlove, 25 at the time of the 2018 crash, was traveling on Interstate 20 at a high rate of speed when he crashed into Dallas PD officer Corporal Jamie Givens who was on his motorcycle.
Givens was rushed to Baylor Hospital where he was pronounced dead.
Breedlove underwent a field sobriety test, and it was determined that his BAC was .19 – more than twice the legal limit.
Earlier this month, Breedlove entered a plea deal and pleaded guilty to intoxication manslaughter of a police officer. He will serve his sentence in a state prison.
Texas Drunk Driving Accident Statistics
The following information was provided by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT):
- 4,489 people were killed in traffic accidents in Texas in 2021, marking a 15.22% increase from 2020.
- Motorcyclists accounted for 521 of the traffic deaths recorded in Texas in 2021.
- 1,077 people were killed in traffic crashes in which a driver was under the influence of alcohol. This accounts for about 24% of fatal crashes recorded in Texas.
- 239,539 people were injured in Texas traffic crashes in 2021 with 19,448 people suffering a serious, incapacitating injury.
- Based on reportable data for 2021:
- A person was killed in a Texas traffic crash every 1 hour and 57 minutes
- A person was injured every 2 minutes and 12 seconds
- A reportable crash occurred every 57 seconds
Injured in a Drunk Driving Crash? Call Thomas J. Henry Law
If you or a loved one were involved in a drunk driving crash in or around Dallas, call Thomas J. Henry. Our law firm has the resources and experience to secure maximum compensation for injured clients. Our attorneys will take immediate action on your claim and work to ensure you receive the justice you deserve.
Our Dallas car accident attorneys are available 24/7 to assist you. Our firm has offices in Corpus Christi, San Antonio, Austin, and Dallas serving clients across Texas and nationwide. Call now for your FREE case review.