Five family members and a sixth unrelated person were hospitalized Sunday morning after a crash on Interstate 35. At least one of the vehicles involved was participating in illegal street racing.
Details of the San Antonio Street Racing Crash
According to KSAT, the crash happened around 2:20 am near the intersection of I-35 and AT&T Parkway.
Police say two cars were racing along the I-35 frontage road, traveling at speeds over 100 miles per hour. One of the vehicles, a Ford Mustang, lost control and struck a wall divider then slammed into a van and a truck.
The van was carrying two adults and three children and the truck had one occupant. All six were taken to metropolitan Metro Hospital.
The driver of the Mustang was not injured but was determined to be intoxicated. He has been charged with DWI.
The girlfriend of the Mustang’s driver was also arrested and will face multiple charges.
The crash remains under investigation.
Texas Drunk Driving Accident Statistics
The following information was provided by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT):
- 3,773 people were killed in Texas traffic accidents in 2016, marking a 5.45% increase from the 3,578 deaths reported in 2015.
- 638 of the deaths reported in 2016 were attributed to a head-on collision.
- Alcohol was determined to be a factor in 987 traffic deaths, accounting for roughly 26% of all Texas traffic fatalities.
- An additional 264,076 people were injured in auto accidents in Texas in 2016.
- Based on reportable data for 2016, TxDOT estimates:
- One person was killed in a traffic accident every 2 hours and 20 minutes.
- One person was injured every 1 minute and 59 seconds.
- A reportable crash occurred every 57 seconds.
Injured in a Crash? Contact an Experienced San Antonio Auto Accident Lawyer
Were you injured in a traffic accident in San Antonio or a surrounding area? Our San Antonio auto accident lawyers are available 24/7 to assist you and provide you with a free legal consultation. Contact Thomas J. Henry Law today for more information about the services we provide to clients in San Antonio, Texas.
Remember, you do not have to face your accident and injuries alone. We are here to help you during your time of need. This includes help with medical appointments, transportation, and cash advancements on qualified cases. Let our attorneys deal with the insurers and your claim so you can focus on what’s really important: getting better.
Our San Antonio Personal Injury Law Offices
- Phone number: 210-941-2191 (attorneys available 24/7 to assist you)
- Address: 5710 W Hausman Rd, Suite 108, San Antonio, Texas 78249