Sun poisoning does not mean you have been poisoned. This is just another term for severe sunburn. This is generally caused by ultraviolet radiation that can inflame the skin.
Symptoms of Sun Poisoning
Within 15 minutes of being out in the sun, a person can get sunburned. It might not be noticeable right away, but after a few hours you can start to feel the discomfort.
Because you may not be aware that a sunburn is developing, it is easy to become severely sunburned if you stay in the sun a long time and don’t wear protection. You are more likely to sunburn if you have light skin and fair hair.
Severe sunburn or sun poisoning can cause symptoms such as the following:
- Skin redness and blistering
- Pain and tingling
- Fever and chills
Treating Sun Poisoning
For severe sunburn, these simple remedies usually do the trick:
- Get out of the sun.
- Take a cool (not cold) shower or bath or apply cool compresses.
- Drink extra fluids for a few days.
- Take ibuprofen or acetaminophen to relieve pain.
- Use aloe gel or a moisturizer.
- Completely cover sunburned areas when going outside.
See immediate medical attention if you develop any of the following symptoms.
- A sunburn that forms blisters, covers a large area, or is very painful
- Facial swelling
- Fever and chills
- Upset stomach
- Headache, confusion, or faintness
- Signs of dehydration
How to Prevent Sun Poisoning
In order to prevent sun poisoning you should do the following things:
- Wear a sunscreen that has an SPF of at least 30 and says “broad-spectrum” on the label, which means that it protects against the sun’s UVA and UVB rays. Put it on all over about 15 to 30 minutes before going out in the sun. Reapply at least every 2 hours and after you’ve been sweating or in the water.
- Limit your sun exposure between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m., and remember that water, snow, and sand can intensify the sun’s damaging rays.
- Wear sunglasses, a hat, and protective clothing.
Contact an Experienced Personal Injury Attorney
At Thomas J. Henry, we focus on personal injury matters and achieving the maximum recovery for you and your family. Our firm has the resources to take care of you and your family during the legal process. Our lawyers are dedicated to each and every client and their unique case. Let us help you get the compensation you deserve for the injuries you have sustained. Contact our personal injury attorneys — available 24/7, nights and weekends — for a free legal consultation.